Manchester City have now taken their interest in Allan Elias directly to Palmeiras, moving the story on from reports earlier on Thursday.

Earlier today, we covered reports from France that City had identified Allan as a potential replacement for Savinho. He said they had “moved forward” with their plans for the 22-year-old.

ESPN Brazil have since confirmed the interest and provided more detail on where things stand.

City have already made Palmeiras aware that they want Allan. Talks are ongoing between the parties, although there is still no formal offer on the table.

That is an important distinction at this stage. Palmeiras know City are serious, but are still waiting to see exactly how serious.

Palmeiras set the bar high

ESPN journalists explain that Palmeiras don’t want to sell Allan Elias this summer. He’s considered an important player for Abel Ferreira, and the Brazilian club have made their position clear to City.

Palmeiras have pointed towards Allan’s €100m (£86.5m) release clause during the discussions. Nobody expects Manchester City to pay that. ESPN explicitly state that City won’t be putting €100m (£86.5m) on the table.

That doesn’t mean the door is completely closed. Palmeiras would study a “big offer” if one arrives. ESPN’s Bruno Andrade went a little further when discussing the situation live on air.

He said he wouldn’t immediately assume Palmeiras will reject City’s first bid. Everything will depend on the figure they eventually present. So, despite the tough public stance, there is room for City to test them.

As we followed closely, Allan Elias was a target for Newcastle and Aston Villa this summer. A price range of around €30m (£26m) was being discussed, but all journalists agreed that the number for Manchester City specifically would be higher.

Allan one of City’s main targets

Another significant detail is how highly Manchester City appear to rate Allan. ESPN say the City Football Group see him as the “ideal” player to replace Savinho. During their broadcast, Allan was also described as one of City’s “main targets” for that job.

For now, City haven’t turned that interest into a bid. Palmeiras are also in no great rush to raise money through one of their key players. Their plan is to generate income from fringe players and those currently out on loan.

Their situation in Brazil could strengthen that stance further. Palmeiras lead the Brazilian league and remain alive in both the Copa Libertadores and Copa do Brasil.

If they go deep in those competitions, ESPN say there should be no financial need to sacrifice an important player.

An early exit could change the equation. Even then, the timing of the Brazilian season means January would be a more realistic point for that change to have an impact.

For Manchester City, the next move is therefore theirs. They’ve made contact, Palmeiras have told them Allan won’t come cheaply, and the Brazilian club are now waiting to see what figure arrives.