Manchester United will face Aston Villa and Benfica’s threat in the race to sign Barcelona’s Alejandro Balde this summer.
Two days ago, Sport Witness relayed news of Manchester United contacting Balde’s agent Jorge Mendes to explore a deal.
The Red Devils have to be wary of Aston Villa and Benfica’s competition to sign the left-back.
On Thursday, Mendes arrived in Barcelona to hold talks with the La Liga side and met his client the following day.
Manchester United and Aston Villa keen

Sunday’s edition of Mundo Deportivo backs up Manchester United’s interest and Sport covers about Aston Villa.
The fullback wants to continue at the Camp Nou, while the La Liga winners are not ruling out a late exit.
Barcelona face Elche CF in the league later today. In his pre-match press conference on Saturday, Hansi Flick addressed Alejandro Balde’s situation and Mundo have relayed his comments.
“It’s a club situation; we’re making a lot of changes. We have to wait until the end of the transfer window. It’s normal when you decide you want new players: you think about how to make the team stronger,” he said.
Mundo points out Michael Carrick’s side have emerged as a suitor in recent days.
When asked whether he’s counting on the Manchester United and the Aston Villa target, Flick explained: “It’s a difficult question. Balde has enormous quality, and for me, what I said before is important: you have to have the conviction to fight for your place. I want to see that from all the players.”
Aston Villa’s approach for Manchester United target
Sport reports the 22-year-old accepts he has no future at the Catalan club and has to find a new destination.
Earlier in the window, the Spain international and his entourage were firm that he won’t leave. Barcelona have maintained the stance he won’t have a key role and Hansi Flick’s latest comments confirm it.
Therefore, Alejandro Balde and his camp have changed their stance and are looking for a way out. He has given the green light to Jorge Mendes to find him a new club.

The Spanish champions, who earlier requested €40-45m, are aware it’s difficult to receive such an offer. As of now, only Benfica have offered around €20m for the fullback.
To accept this offer, Barca want to ‘activate some ‘imaginative clauses’ to find additional financial incentives or share future rights.’
Aston Villa have also made an approach as Sport says they are in the market for a left-back. The move seems difficult because of their financial situation. The newspaper didn’t consider the Villans have already signed Matteo Ruggeri.
The expectation is for Balde’s suitors list to grow, and it’ll be interesting to see where he will end up.
Journalist Gianluigi Longari also states the Spaniard has decided to leave, and Mendes is exploring options in the market.
Manchester United are in talks with the super-agent, while he makes no mention of Aston Villa.
🚨 Crescono le possibilità di addio al Barcelona di Alejandro Balde. Manchester United in dialogo tramite il suo agente Jorge Mendes.
‼️Sia Barça che Balde, concordi nell’esplorare il mercato. pic.twitter.com/Tk61QFbUPB
— Gianluigi Longari (@Glongari) August 22, 2026
























