Chelsea have, on and off, been linked with Alex Telles for a long time. It’s now been more than three years since the Blues started being linked to the left-back, and the rumours keep popping up every transfer window.
On Friday, the British press once again claimed the 24-year-old is an option for the London side, this time in case they fail to land Alex Sandro from Juventus this summer.
As always, the rumour made a fuss in Portugal. Alex Telles signed for Porto last year in a move from Galatasaray, and the club aren’t expecting him to leave so soon. At least not after the great season he’s had.
Sport Witness contacted Telles’ agent Fernando Otto, who claimed that there have been no recent contacts from Chelsea, but it doesn’t mean the transfer is ruled out.
“For now, we have nothing,” the representative told Sport Witness. “Not from Chelsea. Neither me nor the player received any contact, from any English club. But it can happen because the market opens tomorrow.”
Regarding the old links with Chelsea, the agent confirmed that a move was close to happening in the past: “When he went to Galatasaray, we had an offer from Chelsea for Alex. But at the time, we had already confirmed a pre-contract with Galatasaray, and we could not go back.
“But there was information exchange, last year too. And I believe that maybe one day he will play for Chelsea. I don’t know if it’s going to be this season or the next. But I feel like one day he can play for Chelsea.”
Telles currently has a €40m release clause at Porto, and this is just one reason Otto believes a transfer wouldn’t be cheap.
Asked how much the Portuguese club would demand from Chelsea, he said: “I don’t know. Porto paid six, seven million Euros. But he’s been valued this year, he was the best fullback of the Portuguese league, and in assists numbers he’s the best left-back in Europe. I believe they will ask a lot, not a little. Also because there are no fullbacks in the market.”