Aston Villa could be left behind in the race for João Palhinha. Benfica are now making a permanent-transfer offer to Bayern Munich.

That’s the significant change in Portugal on Wednesday. Previously, Benfica had been trying to structure a loan for the 31-year-old. However, Bayern’s preference for an outright sale has forced them to change their approach.

Record believe João Palhinha is closer to Benfica than Aston Villa
Record believe João Palhinha is closer to Benfica than Aston Villa

Wednesday’s print edition of O Jogo says they are now offering €15m (£13m) guaranteed plus €5m (£4.3m) in bonuses.

That still falls short of Bayern’s €25m (£21.7m) valuation. However, the type of deal is finally what the German club have been demanding.

Record also puts Benfica’s proposal at around €20m (£17.3m), including bonuses, and goes further with the overall situation.

They describe Palhinha’s move as “imminent” and say there is confidence an agreement can be reached this week.

Benfica have Palhinha on board

Crucially, Benfica don’t need to convince the player. Palhinha has agreed a four-year contract worth around €2.5m (£2.2m) net per season.

Record adds that he would receive a €1m (£870k) signing-on fee. O Jogo therefore calculates Benfica’s commitment at a minimum of €35m (£30.3m). This combines the €15m (£13m) guaranteed transfer payment and €20m (£17.3m) in wages across four years.

That figure can rise through the proposed bonuses and signing-on payment. Palhinha has lowered his salary demands to make the return to Portugal possible. Family considerations continue to weigh heavily in his decision.

Aston Villa return with little hope

There is movement from Aston Villa as well. O Jogo says the Villans have “returned to the charge”. However, they are currently looking at a loan with an option to buy.

O Jogo on Aston Villa losing ground for João Palhinha
O Jogo on Aston Villa losing ground for João Palhinha

It’s the same solution from the beginning of the saga. A structure Bayern have been reluctant to accept, just as Benfica switch to a permanent purchase. So fair to say there is no much hope for the Birmingham side in that context.

There was another indication on Tuesday that Bayern expect his future to be resolved soon. Palhinha was again left out, this time against Heidenheim. O Jogo says he is being protected because of his “imminent departure”.

The midfielder also caught attention in Portugal by liking an Instagram post. The post was from a well-known Benfica supporter celebrating the club’s 7-0 win over Casa Pia.

The important part for Aston Villa (and Newcastle) here is that Benfica have finally moved towards Bayern’s preferred type of transfer.

They already have Palhinha’s agreement and are now being presented in Portugal as confident of getting the deal done this week.