Andreas Schjelderup
January 21, 2025, Estádio da Luz, Lisbon, Portugal – UEFA Champions League: Benfica vs Barcelona; Andreas Schjelderup of Benfica enters the pitch

Tottenham may not have to wait much longer for a clearer indication over Andreas Schjelderup’s future. Benfica are preparing fresh talks over the winger’s contract after his return from the World Cup.

The Norway international has rejoined Marco Silva’s squad following his post-tournament break, but his long-running contract situation remains unresolved.

According to both Record and O Jogo, Benfica are planning to reopen discussions over a new deal after Thursday’s Europa League qualifier against St. Gallen. The outcome is expected to influence how club president Rui Costa approaches any significant transfer interest later in the window.

Return brings next stage

Schjelderup reported back to Benfica Campus on Sunday alongside fellow Norwegian Fredrik Aursnes. He is set to begin pre-season training under Silva.

The Benfica manager has already made it clear he wants the 22-year-old to remain part of his plans. He views him as one of the key figures in his squad for the new season.

Club officials share that desire. However, they also recognise Schjelderup’s market value has risen sharply following his performances during the second half of last season and at the World Cup.

Rather than rushing the situation, Benfica now want to understand the player’s position before deciding how firmly to respond to future approaches.

Renewal still waiting

Record explains that Benfica first presented Schjelderup with a renewal proposal in May. That offer remains unanswered, but the newspaper says the club do not believe there is any immediate reason for concern.

Speaking last week, president Rui Costa insisted there has been no indication from Schjelderup that he wants to leave.

“Schjelderup also has a contract renewal proposal. I have read and heard that he doesn’t want to stay at Benfica. That has not been communicated to us”, he said.

“He was on holiday after the World Cup and will soon return to Benfica. As of today, Benfica have not received any proposal for Schjelderup”.

So the next significant development is expected to come internally. And unlike the recent situation involving António Silva, Schjelderup is not entering the final year of his contract.

His current deal runs until 2028 and includes a €100m (£86m) release clause. This gives Benfica considerably more leverage.

Tottenham still waiting for first offer

Tottenham have been repeatedly linked with Schjelderup throughout the summer and are understood to have already explored the conditions of a potential deal. Meanwhile, Chelsea and Liverpool are reportedly watching the developments as well.

Roma have also been credited with interest in Italy, while English clubs continue to monitor the situation.

Despite the speculation, Rui Costa recently insisted Benfica have not received a single proposal for the Norwegian. Both Record and O Jogo maintain that remains the case following his return to Portugal.

If Schjelderup signals he is ready to commit his future to the club, Tottenham’s task becomes considerably harder.

If there is still no breakthrough over a new contract, Benfica will have a clearer idea of how to approach what could become one of their biggest transfer decisions of the summer.