Hector Herrera’s possible departure from Porto is starting to look like a great transfer story for the next summer.
The Mexican international is out of contract at the end of the season, and as things stand, it looks like he’s really leaving the Portuguese champions.
Newspaper O Jogo brings a front page story this Friday where they interview Gabriel Moraes, Herrera’s agent.
The representative dismisses the claims which said he had met Real Madrid this week, and has promised that Herrera is staying at Porto at least until the end of the season.
“I had contacts from many clubs in the summer, but nobody came to an agreement with FC Porto and Hector respected the decision. He is focused only on FC Porto, he’s the captain and has many important games ahead of him. He’s just focused on it”, Moraes told O Jogo.
“Real Madrid have a very strong midfield and it’s not a position for them to look for signings. This story has zero sense; there was no meeting.”
When naming the clubs who are interested in the player, O Jogo mentions Real Madrid, Inter, Roma and Tottenham Hotspur. The Spurs had already been linked a week ago, and even though they hadn’t been mentioned in the last articles from the Italian and the Spanish media, they are recalled by O Jogo today.
The outlet doesn’t seem to have any news about who would be leading the race for now, because, apparently, it’s too early to find a deal with the player.
Newspaper Record brings a similar story saying Herrera is not leaving in the January market. Unless some of the interested clubs do a ‘mad thing’ and pay for his €40m release clause just six months before his contract expires.
So it looks like an interesting race Spurs are involved in, at least in case Real Madrid’s interest is true indeed.