The rumours linking Bruno Fernandes to Manchester United have been enough to keep the saga strong for the past few weeks. And now, it seems like the player himself is happy to feed it.
Last night, interviewed by Sport TV, the Sporting star claimed he’s ready to play in English football once this season comes to an end.
Fernandes said that last summer, when he had rescinded his contract with the Lions due to the Alvalade attacks, there were invites for him to move to England, but he didn’t feel prepared.
“Last year, after the termination, I received approaches, mainly from England and also from Spain, but I did not feel prepared to go,” Bruno Fernandes told Sport TV (via Record). “Not because of difficulty, but for the high number of games in England.
“My debut season at Sporting was the first time I played so many games, I thought I needed one more with that regularity. Now I feel prepared for this requirement, if I ever have to play in England or a team in Spain.”
Regarding his €100m release clause, Fernandes said: “No player in the world should be worth that price. But it’s a cause of pride to know that Sporting have this confidence in me.”
The midfielder, who has 28 goals scored this season, also says he wants to “score as many goals as possible and, if possible, exceed 30”.
Newspaper Record, who covers the quotes, makes sure to recall that Bruno Fernandes’ last appearance for Sporting has been watched by officials from Manchester United, Paris Saint Germain and Juventus.
On Monday, newspaper Correio da Manhã claimed that the Red Devils are ‘ready to advance’ with a bid to sign him in the summer.