Shortly after the January window closed, it was claimed in the Catalan media that Everton had made an offer for Aaron Martin.
The Espanyol left-back had already been linked with Manchester City and Manchester United, but now Everton were brought into the picture.
Trying to sign Aaron during the winter market, Everton are said to have put forward a €20m, which was rejected by Espanyol.
Everton’s approach was taken seriously, with it being stated Espanyol’s president Chen Yansheng, sports director Òscar Perarnau, vice president Adolf Rousaud and manager Quique Sánchez Flores all had a meeting about it.
In the end it was thought the offer was too low for a January sale.
Friday’s edition of Catalan newspaper Sport says Espanyol want to sell the player this summer, needing the money. His agent is therefore working to find a solution, with a move to England one of the possibilities presented.
Aaron has a buyout clause of €40m, but his form has dropped in recent months and Espanyol won’t be getting near that figure. Should the Everton claims have been correct then they’d probably get a different answer for their €20m now.