Liverpool sill haven’t given up on signing João Mário from Sporting Lisbon this summer. Despite having a bid for the midfielder rejected recently, the Reds are said to be still in the race for the Euro 2016.
Both A Bola and O Jogo have articles in their Friday editions saying that the interest is real, although there would be competition from PSG and Inter Milan.
O Jogo claim Liverpool are behind Inter Milan in the race for the Portugal international, and they say it would be difficult for Jurgen Klopp’s side to get near the player’s €60m release clause. Also it’s been revealed Mário’s agents are in more advanced talks with Inter Milan officials.
However, there is some good news for the Reds from this morning. In an interview with the website FCInter1098 (via Calcio Mercato), the agent Kia Joorabchian said: “Inter? There’s no chance of João going there.”
That would put Liverpool in front, since after Inter, the Reds are who have tabled the biggest offer for the midfielder so far in this window.
Chelsea and PSG are still said to be interested, but as their bids were made before the Euros, they would still have to consider the player’s new value, since he had a great competition and ended up being a champion.