Liverpool are one of the Premier League clubs who have been linked with Lorenzo Insigne over the past month.
The Napoli player has won more fans during Euro 2020 and could give himself an even bigger profile with a good performance against Spain on Tuesday evening.
Given the 27-year-old’s contract with Napoli expires in less than a year, rumours about his future are frequent in the Italian media.
Aurelio De Laurentiis, Napoli’s president, doesn’t want to offer more than €3.5m a year for a renewal, whilst Insigne is asking for €5m, with both figures likely to be after tax.
That’s according to Fabio Santini, described by Area Napoli as a journalist and expert in the transfer market. On the player’s potential exit from the Serie A club, Santini said: “To make the situation even more complicated is the intense competition for the player. I know for sure that there is a strong interest from Liverpool and Atletico Madrid on Lorenzo Insigne.”
Jurgen Klopp’s side and Atletico are said to have ‘revealed themselves’ as interested, and Santini suggested there could be quick developments with Italian clubs making offers in the coming days.
The likelihood is that Insigne will stay in Italy, whether that’s with Napoli or not. When Tottenham were linked with the player last month, Fabio Paratici told the Italian media that he didn’t think Insigne would be making a move to the Premier League this summer, ruling out his own club and seemingly others.
There’s a chance Liverpool and other clubs are being thrown in to try and put pressure on Napoli, although that’s a dangerous game to play with De Laurentiis.