Tottenham supporters can be forgiven for feeling a little disillusioned with the club’s managerial hunt this summer.
Despite having a big chunk of time since showing Jose Mourinho the door, Spurs’ attempts to appoint a new head coach have been something of a circus.
Claims of a possible return for Mauricio Pochettino brought much enthusiasm from the fanbase, with a hope that the recent difficult times could quickly be forgotten and Tottenham return to an optimistic outlook.
That soon fell away and then a series of other options were pushed forward for the role.
Thursday saw Paulo Fonseca, who had been thought near certain to take over, drop out of the picture, with sources from various sides giving different reasons. Very quickly, he was replaced by Rino Gattuso, who had torn up his Fiorentina agreement after just weeks with la Viola.
Calciomercato report ‘Paratici says yes’ and they say Gattuso is now ‘one step away’ from becoming the new man in charge. Jorge Mendes, representing the Italian manager, is said to be the man behind it all, and he’s managed to get approval from Paratici.
Mendes has reached agreement for a two year deal for Gattuso, which Calciomercato say is worth €3m after tax per season. The ‘definition’ of the deal ‘should’ arrive on Friday, according to the report.
It’s worth noting that Thursday evening saw claims from Italy that Gattuso had actually signed his Tottenham contract.