It doesn’t matter how close Liverpool may be to buying Ibrahima Konaté, the Italian media will push Kalidou Koulibaly to Anfield until the very end.
The Reds have been linked with the Senegalese defender for some time now, and even amid the speculation they could be on the verge of signing the Frenchman from RB Leipzig, the stories continue.
Earlier on Tuesday, we covered a report by Gazzetta dello Sport stating Liverpool were ‘ready to invest €50m’ on the centre-back, and now we have Vincenzo Morabito, a journalist speaking to Gonfia La Rete on Radio Marte about the possibilities of the move.
He said: “Koulibaly to Liverpool? Certainly, he has a market. Liverpool are a real and concrete possibility. They are already talking to the player’s entourage. Having said that, you must always see the evaluation. Pre Covid-19, there was talk of €100m, now the figures must be understood, in the market they are now halved.
“We have to see if De Laurentiis sells him because it’s difficult for owners to accept a depreciation. Koulibaly has great chances of leaving for Liverpool. The club want to put him alongside Van Dijk. There was also talk from Manchester City, but nothing was done. De Laurentiis will try to take home €70m”.
Right now, any talk of Liverpool going for anyone one other than Konaté in the centre-back department has to be taken with a pinch of salt, but if the deal for the France U21 international does fall through, you can be sure Jürgen Klopp and his men will go down their list of targets, on which we are fairly sure Koulibaly’s name is present.