Over the past few weeks, Chelsea star Antonio Rüdiger has been linked with top clubs across Europe, for a potential free transfer next summer.
On Wednesday, the 28-year-old refused to commit his long-term future, and blamed the media for ‘adding salt and pepper’ to transfer claims.
The defender’s contract expires in 2022 and his negotiations with the Blues over a new deal have ‘not led to a positive result’. That’s according to Sky Deutschland, who add the two parties ‘could not come to an agreement financially’.
Real Madrid were said to be the favourites, but reports from Spain have stated they have backed out from making an approach for the centre-back. Sky, however, dismiss these suggestions.
It’s said Los Blancos have been ‘very interested’ in the Germany international for a ‘long time’ as their manager, Carlo Ancelotti, is a ‘big fan’ of him. Both sides have had ‘three rounds of negotiations’ so far, with ‘still a few million difference between them’.
It is not clear whether the La Liga side will make an improved offer, but they are not out of the race yet. If the track to Real Madrid doesn’t materialise, the former AS Roma man has other options, including Paris Saint-Germain and Manchester United.
In addition to this, ‘Chelsea are not out of the race either’. According to the report, the negotiations between Rüdiger and the Blues ‘are to be resumed’ in January.
These claims about the west London club resuming talks with the players come less than a day after Bild’s Christian Falk reported that Rüdiger ‘would like to stay’ at Chelsea.