With the announcement of Richarlison in the works, Tottenham could be forgiven for putting the Clément Lenglet deal on hold for a little bit.
However, now that the Brazilian is firmly and officially a Spurs player, those in charge of giving Antonio Conte the players he wants went back to dealing with Barcelona for the centre-back.
Sport bring the latest update on Friday afternoon, explaining ‘there is already a pre-agreement between the clubs for a season-long loan with an option to buy’.
Currently on holiday, it’s said that with the two sides shaking hands, ‘the footballer must ratify everything next Monday to immediately join the London club’s squad’.
That’s why he’s ‘no longer expected to go to Barcelona since he has received permission from the club to close his move to Tottenham’, which should be made official ‘Tuesday at the latest’.
The good relationship between the two teams following the Emerson Royal transfer last year made everything rather easy.
Barcelona ‘made it clear at the beginning that they were open to a transfer as long as the entire wages were taken and Tottenham are willing to do so with some adjustment that must be taken on by the player’.
This is what ‘was being resolved in the last few hours and it seems there is already a green light for everything to become official in a few days’.
There was hope from Lenglet that he might get something better, but he finally ‘understood that Tottenham is a very good sporting option and agreed to advance in the operation after speaking with Antonio Conte’.
The Italian manager told him ‘he would be an important player in the team’, and the defender know his best chance to try and get into the France squad for the 2022 World Cup is by playing a lot at a good level.
Therefore, a move to Tottenham made sense, especially if he was promised minutes.