Tahith Chong’s future is currently very much under debate.
The 19 year old perhaps hasn’t had the opportunities he’d have hoped for this season, but then when given the chance his performances haven’t been at the level which would make it difficult to leave him out.
With a contract expiring in June, there’s been rumours about interest from elsewhere.
Earlier on Tuesday we covered claims from Italy that Chong has decided against signing a renewal, and that Juventus ‘move seriously’ for the young Dutchman.
Of course, saying Chong has decided against a renewal makes it a bigger story for an Italian audience.
At the beginning of this month his agent Erkan Alkan said: “It is true that top clubs keep an eye on the situation around Tahith. But it’s still early in the season. We are quietly waiting to see what United will come up with or else we will see what is best for Tahith’s development next summer.”
At the time it was claimed Manchester United hadn’t yet offered a renewal, and there appears to have been progress since then.
Away with Jong Oranje, Chong has been speaking to the Dutch media, with comments popping up all over the place.
Voetbal Primeur take comments given to Veronica Inside (a TV show), and quote the footballer as saying: “I am currently a player of Manchester United and the season is in full swing. My focus is on that. The contract will come naturally. I am now focusing on this season.”
On a possible loan in January, he said: “I keep all options open. But it is important to keep my focus on the season. I will see where it goes.”
Goal NL quote him as saying to Fox Sports (also via video): “Yes, they offered it (a new deal), but at the moment the season is also in full swing.”
Meanwhile, Chong has told Voetbal International that he’ll “Discuss with my family what is best”.
There surely has to be the possibility of a new contract and a loan in the winter market. Should there be no extension by then, an exit will look increasingly likely.
However, unless Chong isn’t being honest with the Dutch media, the Italian claims he’s already decided to leave are incorrect.