On Saturday we covered claims from Marca that Manchester City had made a €55m offer for Jules Koundé. The Spanish newspaper said they’d been able to confirm the size of the bid, and that Sevilla had rejected it.
At that time it was stated the club were pointing at the defender’s €90m buyout clause, although a deal at that price seemed very unlikely indeed.
Then, earlier on Monday, Mundo Deportivo reported Manchester City were considering using Nicolas Otamendi to bring the price down. It was stated Txiki Begiristain was being put under pressure, likely by Pep Guardiola, to bring a signing in.
Sevilla aren’t interested in a player being involved in the transfer, and a source at the club was quoted as saying: “If the club receives a proposal of more than €60m plus variables, they will yield. We are talking about half of the annual budget.”
That sounded much more reasonable, and a level with Manchester City can reach.
Mundo Deportivo now quote Monchi, Sevilla’s sporting director, as saying: “It is true that in recent days we have received the interest of a club for Jules. That club has transmitted an offer to us, which has been valued by the management committee and has been rejected.”
Asked if a higher offer would be considered, Monchi suggested that would be the case: “If they were to make an offer we would listen to them again and we would respond to them again.
“Since I don’t know if they will come back or not, we don’t have a schedule made either. It is not something that worries us, because knowing how Koundé is, it’s sure that he is thinking more about Lewandowski, Müller, Sané and Gnabry than in other things.”
That will be a reference to Thursday’s UEFA Super Cup match against Bayern Munich.
On suggestions the player has already agreed personal terms, Monchi said: “I doubt very much that Koundé has reached an agreement with City, because he has a deal with Sevilla. No, no, I’m telling you that Koundé has not reached any agreement with Manchester City.”