It’s not every day we cover something Sky Sports says, because, well, Sky sources, but when they confirm something that was said over a year ago on a French website a lot of people roll their eyes at when mentioned, we feel the need to write something about it.
On Monday, the well-known English media outlet claimed Manchester City and Tottenham were ‘keen on France youth Matteo Guendouzi’.
The David Luiz lookalike emerged last year as one of the standout youngsters in Lorient’s academy, and while he isn’t a regular starter just yet, he certainly is starting to break through at the Ligue 2 side, already appearing 12 times this season.
The 18-year-old defensive midfielder, whom Sky Sports claim could be a long-term replacement for Mousa Dembélé, was first linked with Tottenham back in November 2016 by FootMercato.
Back then, the French website stated Mauricio Pochettino and his staff had already been ‘seduced by how quickly the youngster had adapted to first-team football’, but, then 17, it was certainly too soon for them to make a move.
This summer, however, could be different.
A lot will probably depend on whether Lorient make it back to Ligue 1, and even then, you would think a move to a slightly more reputable French team would be the next step in his career rather than jumping directly to Premier League football.
This story comes off the back of the Geoffrey Kondogbia to Tottenham stories, which, to be honest, the Spanish press aren’t buying one bit.