On Thursday, claims from the English press said Tottenham Hotspur have decided not to use their buying option to sign Carlos Vinícius from Benfica.
When the loan from the Eagles was arranged at the start of the season, it had been agreed between the clubs the deal could be made permanent for €45m.
Tottenham’s choice not to trigger is covered by the Portuguese media today, and we find a couple of different claims about what’s going on.
Record highlight claims from England which say Spurs would only sign Carlos Vinícius for €20m, they seem to agree with it when saying that according to their own sources, José Mourinho has the priority to sign two central defenders.
O Jogo is another one who has similar information. They claim Tottenham don’t consider paying €42m and would rather get him with a discount. Benfica are said to be aware of that, and problem is that president Luís Filipe Vieira doesn’t want to let the striker go for only €20m. He’d rather find another solution with agent Jorge Mendes.
Meanwhile, A Bola takes it a little easier. Despite claims saying Tottenham started talks with Benfica to get a discount for the striker, the newspaper disagrees with it.
The outlet says the Eagles are still to be contacted by Spurs and have no information on what their plans are so far.
Carlos Vinícius has nine goals and three assists in 20 appearances for Tottenham this season. In case they decide to trigger the buying option, there’d be a €3m discount from the fee they spent on the loan.