In the final days of the summer transfer window, Wolverhampton Wanderers were named as one of the candidates to sign Duje Ćaleta-Car by the French media.
Marseille were keen to get rid of the defender as his exit would have helped them to bring in new faces to the club.
On the deadline day, L’Equipe reported the Ligue 1 side had received a ‘nice sum’ of €18m from Wolves for a transfer and the 24-year-old was the ‘first candidate for departure’.
These claims are relayed again in today’s edition of the same newspaper and it’s said the centre-back wasn’t ‘excited to discover England’ after his partner had given birth to the couple’s first child last week.
L’Equipe further add Marseille president Pablo Longoria ‘activated his networks’ to find a way out for the Croatia international and received an offer from Valencia. However, the player wasn’t interested in joining the La Liga side.
Ćaleta-Car’s decision to not accept proposals from Bruno Lage’s side and Los Ches ‘did not please’ the French club’s leaders, who ‘were rather upset’ with the defender’s decision.
On Tuesday, a source told Sport Witness there was ‘no offer’ made from Wolves and Ćaleta-Car would not be leaving Marseille on the last day of the window.