Newcastle United reportedly showed keen interest in Lyon’s Rayan Cherki in the last window, but they didn’t take the necessary steps to carry out his signing.
Earlier this month, Tutto Juve stated the Magpies are still in the picture for the 20-year-old and this was mentioned when discussing Juventus interest in him. It was also said the Ligue 1 side need a ‘interesting offer’ to sanction his sale.
Journalist Ignazio Genuardi took to X, formerly Twitter, to provide a short update on Eddie Howe’s side keeping tabs on the player. He claims the midfielder is ‘notably on Newcastle’s shortlist’ for January.
The France U21 international has a deal lasting until 2025 and has made nine appearances this season.
On Sunday, the Ligue 1 side’s clash against Marseille was postponed, but prior to that there were several claims in France stating that Lyon manager Fabio Grosso had decided to leave Cherki out of the squad.
The journalist claims Newcastle are planning to strengthen their midfield in January, after Sandro Tonali’s suspension, and Cherki and Thuram are included in their target list.
In the summer window, Crystal Palace’s Joachim Andersen was linked to the Tyneside club and Genuardi says he’s still a option for Newcastle to bolster their defence.
Non retenu pour le choc de dimanche soir face à Marseille, le Lyonnais #Cherki – qui est sous contrat jusqu’en juin 2025 – figure notamment sur la short-list de #Newcastle pour le Mercato d’hiver. #Mercato #OL
— Ignazio Genuardi (@IgnazioGenuardi) October 28, 2023