Over the past few weeks, various reports coming out of Germany have named Manchester United as a suitor for Borussia Dortmund defender Manuel Akanji.
It was also explained the Switzerland international, whose contract expires in 2023, has rejected an €8m per year proposal as he wants a deal that includes an annual salary of €10m.
Earlier on Thursday, Bild explained BVB made an improved offer to the 26-year-old, but he turned it down. Therefore, his ‘farewell is approaching’ in the next summer window.
The same report also said the Red Devils have ‘shown an interest’ to sign him, and are trying to lure him with a ‘gigantic salary’ of €15m per year.
Blick in Switzerland have dismissed Bild’s report as they state ‘no decision has been made’ by the 26-year-old, and the talks between him and the Bundesliga side are ‘still not over’.
“He currently wants to concentrate solely on the last important games of the season. If there is anything official to report, it will follow from the club side. We are in talks with BVB,” the agency that manages him told Blick.
The player’s advisory team further explained Akanji has ‘not yet made a decision on whether to extend or leave’ Dortmund.
It is clear the player will have to make a ‘fundamental decision’ over his future and as it stands, the report adds it’s ‘questionable’ that he will sign a new deal with the German club.
In the event Akanji were to decide against renewing, then they ‘will sell him’ in the summer as they cannot risk losing him for free in 2023.
Blick mentions reports linking him to Manchester United, but raise doubts over a move to Old Trafford for the Swiss defender since the Red Devils are still to appoint a permanent manager and have the likes of Harry Maguire and Raphaël Varane in their squad.