Genk failed to overcome Liverpool twice in the Champions League group stages and Sander Berge played the full 90 minutes in both the fixtures for the Belgian side.

The Reds registered a 2-1 victory over the Jupiler Pro League side at Anfield earlier this month and after the tie, Jürgen Klopp hailed the Norway international as a ‘very interesting player’.

Berge was left delighted with the comments made by the manager, but he decided against providing more details about his conversation with Klopp.

His performances have drawn attention from Italian clubs, with TuttoMercatoWeb stating Napoli are ‘very interested’ in the 21-year-old and Genk would need at least €20m to sanction his sale.

Corriere dello Sport have relayed Genk sporting director Dimitri De Condé’s interview with Radio Punto Nuovo, where he discusses interest in Berge.

Embed from Getty Images

“If Napoli has already blocked Berge? I read it and it’s not like that. Napoli are interested in Sander and it’s is a possibility,” De Condé said.

We also know Liverpool follow him carefully. Klopp spoke to the boy after the Anfield game, congratulating him on the performance.

“In Italy there are clubs that follow Berge and Napoli could be one of these, but to date we have no concrete offers on the table. It could even change in the coming weeks.”

Berge is contracted to Genk until 2021 and De Condé stressed his side will try to hold on to the player until the end of this season.

“Berge to Napoli in January? We don’t know. We are currently fighting for our seasonal goals and we are in a complicated situation,” the Genk chief explained.

“Our intention is to hold on to Sander until the end of the season, but we can’t make any predictions. If the big clubs come knocking at our door, we will have to start negotiations, just as the agent has to do.

“These are situations we can’t predict, we’re focused on our season, hoping to keep Sander until May. Then if a top club like Napoli is serious, we will sit at the same table to negotiate, it is logical.

“The current valuation of Berge? We do not talk about figures; we do not set a price at the moment. We will see when we find ourselves in a negotiation.”