Markus Henriksen has been a regular inclusion in Hull City’s midfield, making 33 starts in the Championship this season.

The Norway international’s contract at the KCOM Stadium was set to expire after the end of the season.

There was a clause in his contract which allowed his employer to further extend his current deal by a year, and the Tigers exercised the option on March 1st.

Norwegian outlet VG interviewed the 26-year-old, and the player explained didn’t sound hugely enthusiastic about the situation.

“It was something I realised they were going to do. They had an option, they had their full right to decide whether to use or not. Had they not done so, they would not have received any money for me, no matter what happens,” he said.

“I was aware of it when I signed the contract.”

Even though the club triggered the option of extending the contract, it doesn’t rule out an exit and could be just so Hull City get a transfer fee.

Embed from Getty Images

Henriksen was the subject of interest from Bordeaux in January, but the Ligue 1 club’s multiple approaches were rejected by Hull.

He’s opened the door for a future move to France, and said he’ll sit down with the club after this season and then take a decision on his future.

“I have a plan about things that I think will happen. Of course, I can’t say that. All I can do is do it as best I can. Now I’m a Hull player. I have seven games left to play. And then I sit down to the summer and find out what is best for me and Hull,” the Norwegian explained.

“I try not to think too much about it, but the club you are talking about is very attractive to me.”

“I have said that if I want to change the club, then I want to go to one of the four to five best leagues. France is a league that is there.

“It is important to me that there is a club that really wants me, and so far I know this is a club that has followed me very much. They made some bids in January, but Hull refused to sell. I accept that, so we’ll see if they come back during the summer.

“Of course. I hope so. They had no discussions with me about what I was thinking and my situation.

“I got some messages when they refused the bids that came in January that they needed me to have the opportunity to try to move up. Then we sit down to the summer and see what is best for both me and the club.”