Earlier on Monday, we relayed claims from Il Mattino that Naples were readying themselves for the arrival of Liverpool fans ahead of the Champions League clash on Wednesday.
Around 2700 Reds fans were expected to be around the city, with some flying directly while others took the train from Rome, and a lot of security was being prepared to avoid repeats of 2010, when three English fans ended up in hospital with stab wounds.
A group of Napoli Ultras were said to have ‘hunted’ Liverpool fans around the city, and because of this, it seems there is a ‘fear’ of returning to Italy from the English fanbase.
This is what Dr. Nunzia di Cristo, consular correspondent in Liverpool at the Honorary Italian Consulate, told Kiss Kiss Napoli, relayed by CalcioNapoli24.
She said: “There were problems during the last games. The English fanbase is worried about what will happen. From what I know, there will only be one organised flight. The others will arrive in Naples via personal trips.
“Some will visit Sorrento and other areas around Naples. I don’t think we’re talking huge numbers of fans. There will probably be far fewer than the expected 2800. The fear of going to Naples and suffering what happened last time is there”.
The game between the two sides isn’t expected to be a sellout after ticket sales reportedly slowed, meaning the atmosphere might not be as heated as once anticipated.
Hopefully, there will be no trouble this time around.