Although the English press has been talking a lot about Manchester United’s interest in Grêmio’s Everton, claims from Brazil now say it’s actually Manchester City who are the favourites to land the player.
This Tuesday, reporter Filipe Kunrath from Radio Grenal writes that Pep Guardiola has personally telephoned Everton. The player is said to be ‘excited’ about the possibility of playing for the Premier League champions.
Radio Grenal had already reported Manchester City’s chase last week. At the time, reporter Diogo Rossi had said that the attacker had been ‘consulted’ by the English club.
Now there’s some confusing claims in Kunrath’s last tweets. He says that Grêmio still haven’t received an offer. And despite the United news, it’s City who ‘should be’ the player’s destination, although it would depend on the Brazilian club’s response to a bid.
So the word ‘should’ sounds a little too optimistic for a situation where an official offer is still to be made. It makes the report a little strange, actually.
Yesterday, we covered quotes from Grêmio president Romildo Bolzan Junior saying that Everton has a €80m release clause. He’s made it clear that Manchester United’s reported potential £30m offer wouldn’t be enough to take him.